IVC Filter Lawsuits
Attorney Dean Goetz
Free Case Evaluation
No Attorney Fees Unless We Recover Money On Your Behalf
Inferior Vena Cava Filter - Death Or Serious Injuries
We are currently reviewing potential cases involving these filters and any resulting injuries.
IVC filters are small, cage-like metal devices implanted in the inferior vena cava, the main blood vessel running from the lower body to the heart and lungs. IVC filters have been implanted in hundreds of thousands of Americans for years. The filters are small, metal devices that are implanted in the inferior vena cava. These devices were originally intended to prevent blood clots from entering the lungs and causing pulmonary embolisms. The filters are typically implanted as an alternative for patients that may suffer from adverse reactions to blood-thinning medications.
IVC Filter In Body
Adverse event reports have shown that IVC filters can fracture or migrate causing significant injuries. The filters are also known to shift or tilt which makes retrieval of the device extremely difficult and far more complex than initially advertised. IVC filters that fractured and/or migrated can travel to vital organs in the body such as the lungs, kidneys, liver and heart. When this occurs, the migration, itself, or removal of the filter or fractured portion can cause severe complications and even death.
C.R. Bard and Cook Medical are two of the most well-known IVC filter manufacturers that own a large percentage of the market share. The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued numerous safety warnings regarding the use of retrievable IVC filters. Most recently, in July 2015, the FDA sent a warning letter to C.R. Bard stating that their Recovery Cone Removal System was not properly approved or cleared by the FDA. As a result, the Removal System cannot currently be used to retrieve the company's own IVC filters.
PRESS IVC Filters
- NBC news story about a female who was in a car accident and her IVC perforated her heart. She survived when they removed the piece of IVC metal.
- FDA report showing the risks of using an IVC Filter. FDA warned of filter migrations, detachments, perforations, and filter fractures.
- NBC reports that data shows approximately 300 non-fatal problems have been reported with the IVC Recovery, which is one of thousands of medical products sold by C.R. Bard."
- NBC says that the device, which is implanted in thousands of people, was associated with 27 deaths and hundreds of other non-fatal problems after it received FDA clearance. Also, a former CR Bard insider talks about FDA clearance without her signature.
C.R. Bard & Cook Medical IVC Filter Lawsuits
1. What Is An Inferior Vena Cava Or "IVC" Filter?
IVC filters (also known as "vena cava filters" or "blood clot filters") are small, spider-like wire devices that are inserted into the inferior vena cava to intercept blood clots before they reach the lungs and cause a pulmonary embolism. The inferior vena cava is the major blood vessel between the lower half of the body and the heart.
IVC Filters are often used when a patient is at risk for a blood clot or pulmonary embolism but cannot take blood thinner medication. These devices can be temporary or permanent. Those who are implanted with temporary filters usually have a future surgery to have the device removed as soon as the risk of pulmonary embolism subsides.
2. What's The Problem?
Some of the IVC Filters have been migrating and fracturing and thereby causing injury. Since August 2010, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has been raising concerns about complications associated with IVC filters. The FDA has received hundreds of adverse event reports about the retrievable IVC filters where parts of IVC devices have fractured or migrated to other parts of the body causing significant injuries and even death. There have been numerous lawsuits filed naming IVC Filter manufacturers as defendants. (most notably - C.R. Bard and Cook Medical).
3. Types of IVC Filters
C.R. Bard and Cook Medical are two of the most well-known IVC filter manufacturers and these two companies are at the heart of IVC filter litigation. There are various types of IVC filters.
C.R. Bard Retrievable IVC Filters
- Bard Recovery IVC Filter (withdrawn in 2005)
- Bard G2 IVC Filter (linked to a 12% failure-rate)
- Bard G2 Express/G2x Filter
Cook Medical Retrievable IVC Filters
- Cook Gunther Tulip Filter
- Cook Celect Filter
Other Retrievable IVC Filters
- B Braun Tempofilter IVC Filter
- ALN IVC Filter
- Rex Medical Option IVC Filter
4. What should I do if I have had an IVC Filter inserted into one of my veins?
- If you have an IVC Filter, you should find out what brand IVC Filter you have in your body?
- Determine if the IVC Filter is still in your body and if so, has it migrated or fractured. Ask your doctor for an MRI to make this determination ASAP.
- Ask your doctor to advise you as to whether your IVC Filter should be removed.
5. Are All IVC Filter brands the subject of defective device litigation?
No, but several manufacturers are being sued. The two brands that are being sued most often are C.R. Bard and Cook Medical so you need to find out what brand IVC Filter you have.
6. How can I find out what brand I have?
You can get your medical records from your hospital or retain the Goetz Law Firm and they will get your records for you.
7. Did You Suffer From Severe IVC Filter Side Effects?
IVC filters can break off and migrate into the heart, lungs, kidneys, and other vital organs, leading to serious and even fatal injuries. If you had complications, you should contact the Goetz Law Firm so they can review your case. They are accepting IVC Filter induced injury cases. If you or somebody you know was injured by a severe IVC Filter side effect or has complications associated with IVC filters manufactured by C.R. Bard or Cook Medical, call (858) 481-8844 for a free case consultation. We have the answers you have been looking for. Let us help you and advise the best course of action.
8. What are some of the reported IVC Filter Side Effect or Complications?
- IVC filter fracture
- Perforation, puncture, or serious damage to the heart, lungs, or vena cava
- Cardiac or pericardial tamponade
- Ventricle tachycardia
- Deep view thrombosis (DVT)
- Hematoma or nerve injury at the puncture site
- Constant and severe pain in the heart, chest, or elsewhere in the body
- Pulmonary embolism
- Internal bleeding or infection
- Additional surgery
9. What should I do if I had complications or side effects either before or after my IVC Filter was removed?
You should contact the Goetz Law Firm to discuss your legal options ASAP.
10. FDA Warnings & Reports
After the FDA's 2010 warning regarding retrievable filters, they updated a safety communication in 2014 (pertaining to device removal complications), stating that retrievable filters were only meant for short-term use. The agency was concerned about doctors not retrieving IVC filters intended only for short-term placement, therefore exposing patients to fractured implants. The agency's update was prompted by more than 1,000 reports of serious adverse events related solely to C.R. Bard IVC filters. Reports include 328 for device migration, 146 for embolization (detachment), 70 for IVC perforation, and 56 for filter fracture. Similar problems have also been found with other IVC filters manufactured by Cook Medical, Boston Scientific, B. Braun, and others.
Unfortunately, the warning signs came too late for many patients, which led to the filing of numerous IVC filter lawsuits against manufactures nationwide. If you or someone you know has been adversely effected by IVC filters and have not yet filed a claim, please contact our firm today at (858) 481-8844.
11. Are There Current IVC Filter Lawsuits?
Yes, there have been lawsuits filed against various IVC filter manufacturers (manufacturers C.R. Bard and Cook Medical are at the center of IVC filter litigation). Claims in these lawsuits have included:
- Failure to warn
- Design defects
- Manufacturing defects
- Breach of implied warranty
- Negligent misrepresentation
It does not matter where you currently reside. If you or someone you love was injured by an IVC filter, you may be entitled to significant financial compensation. Contact Attorney Goetz today at (858) 481-8844 for more information. You can have your own lawsuit and avoid being part of a class action.
12. Is This IVC Filter Lawsuit A Class Action?
In 2012, three C.R. Bard IVC filter class action lawsuits were filed in California, Pennsylvania, and Florida. There will probably be more class actions filed. However, if you retain the Goet z Law Firm you will not be part of a class action.
Every person who suffered injury due to C.R. Bard or Cook Medical IVC Filters has his or her own lawsuit. This means each individual will have their own right to a jury trial and each person will be represented individually by The Goetz Law Firm. Call (858) 481-8844 for more details. At The Goetz Law Firm we understand that our clients are suffering emotionally and economically due to loss wages and/or high medical bills. Therefore, we will file each injured person's case as a separate lawsuit.
13. Why The Goetz Law Firm?
You probably want to have your own individual case and your own lawyer. Therefore, you need an experienced Medical Device Products Liability Attorney and Attorney Goetz is an experienced Products Liability attorney with proven results. For example, Attorney Goetz and his litigation team recently represented Bill Kransky, who sued Depuy and Johnson and Johnson for making a defective hip device. After a six week trial, a Los Angeles jury awarded Mr. Kransky $8,338,000. Attorney Goetz has proven he is an excellent, knowledgeable attorney who will personally fight for you every step of the way. He even takes and wins cases others attorneys turn away, which is just another reason to have him on your side. Attorney Goetz and his staff will treat you like family and work hard on your case.
If you want answers right now, then call (858) 481-8844. We will answer any questions you have while also advising you on the best course of action.
14. How Much Will It Cost To Hire The Goetz Law Firm?
If you retain the Goetz Law Firm, there is no attorney fee unless we obtain a recovery for you. If we obtain compensation for you we will take a percentage of the recovery as a fee. If there is no recovery, you will not pay an attorney's fee. We will pay the up front costs and these costs can be taken out of your recovery. This means you will not pay any up front legal fees nor will you be charged or billed at an hourly rate. Please feel free to call if you have any questions or concerns.
15. Do I Have A Potential IVC Filter Claim Against C.R. Bard Or Cook Medical?
Find out by calling Attorney Goetz at (858) 481-8844. The Goetz Law Firm is currently accepting C. R. Bard and Cook Medical IVC filter cases in all 50 states. If you or a loved one has suffered a IVC Filter complication, contact The Goetz Law Firm immediately for a free consultation.
Dean A. Goetz
San Diego Personal Injury Attorney