The Depuy Pinnacle hip replacement device has not been recalled.
Depuy recalled the metal on metal Depuy ASR hip replacement device last year but Depuy has not yet recalled the metal on metal Pinnacle device. The evidence suggesting that the Pinnacle M on M device should be recalled continues to mount. The metal-on-metal hip replacement system remains on the market and consumers continue to be exposed to the risk of serious and debilitating problems.
In August 2010, DePuy Orthopedics, Inc. recalled their ASR hip system, which is a metal-on-metal hip implant. The patient recipients of the DePuy ASR have experienced hip problems associated with a much higher-than-expected failure rate, pain and elevated metal levels. The hip system was recalled months after DePuy ASR lawsuits were first filed alleging that consumers experienced complications due to the defective design. The Depuy ASR cases have been consolidated in an MDL and are being heard in New Jersey by Judge Katz. There are also more than 500 hundred Depuy ASR lawsuits that have been filed in California and those cases have been consolidated and are being handled by Judge Kramer in San Francisco.
The DePuy Pinnacle hip lawsuits have been consolidated in an MDL in the Northern federal district of Texas under Judge "Ed" Kinkeade.
DePuy Orthopedics, a subsidiary of Johnson & Johnson, faces a number of similar lawsuits over their DePuy ASR hip, which is another metal-on-metal design. A DePuy ASR hip recall was issued in August 2010, after post-marketing data confirmed that the hip design was associated with a failure rate of 12% to 13% within 5 years. However, more recent estimates suggest that nearly half of recalled DePuy ASR hip replacements may lead to problems within six years, requiring people to undergo risky revision surgery. According to allegations raised in many of the suits, design defects cause an increased risk of problems from microscopic metal particles that are shed from the DePuy Pinnacle hip implant when parts of the metal-on-metal hip system rub against each other. This may increase the risk of metallosis, biologic toxicity and lead to a high failure rate. Metallosis is just one of the many DePuy hip complications.
DePuy Orthopedics has received numerous complaints regarding the metal-on-metal Pinnacle Acetabular Cup System, though it has not issued a Pinnacle hip recall as of yet. The company maintains that there is no defect in the design of the Pinnacle hip replacement, though some DePuy Pinnacle lawsuits allege that the company is concealing the defect and has misrepresented that the hip replacement is a safe and effective medical device. While a DePuy Pinnacle recall has not yet been issued, the FDA has received hundreds of complaints from patients experiencing problems with the metal-on-metal DePuy Pinnacle Acetabular Cup System. Patients who have been implanted with the hip replacement system have reported a number of DePuy Pinnacle problems, including unexplained hip pain and hip implant failure, requiring DePuy hip revision surgery.
$8.3 Million Reasons to Choose Dean as your Attorney
Metal on Metal Hip Device Recall - Depuy
Dean A. Goetz and the Gomez Law Firm were the attorneys for Mr. Loren Kranksy, the Plaintiff in the first Depuy trial in the USA. 3/6/13 at 9:38 a.m. PST A jury found Depuy liable to Mr. Loren Bill Kransky today in a Los Angeles Superior Court. FIRST verdict in the USA against Depuy for $8,328,000. We Are The Kransky Lawyers. Kranksy vs. Depuy and Johnson and Johnson, Los Angeles County Superior Court Case #BC456086.
It took three and one half more years for this to finally end for Mr. Kransky's family, on 7/21/16 Court of Appeals Upholds Kransky v. Depuy.
November 2017: Dean Goetz with Mr. Kransky's full legal team Nominated (PDF press release) for Consumer Attorneys of California Attorney of the Year 2017 for our work in Kransky vs. Depuy, and Mr. Kransky's long road to justice.
The Walking Wounded - Dean Goetz interviewed on ABC (Australia ABC, a show similar to USA "60 Minutes") Investigative Report - watch the whole investigative story on Depuy, aired 5/26/14, "Reporter Quentin McDermott reveals how a healthcare giant deceived doctors and patients using its ASR hip replacement implant." Australian Depuy class action cases go to trial in 2015, and those injured by their hip devices are now armed with what came out in Mr. Kransky's trial..
Articles published during the first Depuy trial on emerging information:
- Maker Aware of 40% Failure in Hip Implant
New York Times January 22, 2013
- J&J Failed to Warn of Hip Implant's Risks, Jurors Told
Bloomberg News January 25, 2013
- Trial underway in hip implant lawsuit
Los Angeles Times January 25, 2013
- News from Kransky v. DePuy Richmond, VA Legal Examiner January 29, 2013
- J&J Had 'Inappropriate' Risk Controls for Hip, Jury Told Bloomberg News January 31, 2013
- J&J Failed to Weigh Hip Metal Debris Risk, Witness Says Bloomberg News February 1, 2013
- J&J Recalled Hips Over Safety Concerns, Witness Testifies Bloomberg News February 4, 2013
- J&J Jury Told Hip Has Many Design Defects Causing Failure Bloomberg News February 6, 2013
- J&J Sales Rep Told Surgeon of Hip Problems, Jury Told Bloomberg News February 7, 2013
- What a Company Knew About Its Metal Hips New York Times February 10, 2013
- J&J Feared Metal Backlash Would Hurt Hip Sales, Jury Told Bloomberg News February 13, 2013
- J&J Hip Recipient Says He Feared Surgery Would Kill Him Bloomberg News February 19, 2013
Articles about Depuy recall leading up to trial:
- FDA Examines Metal Hip Devices
- Congress Wading Into Faulty Hip Implant Issue
- Defective and dangerous medical device products. rushed to market with, "Gaps in FDA's postmarket surveillance show that unsafe and ineffective devices may continue to be used, despite being recalled."
- New York Times Remedy Is Elusive as Metallic Hips Fail at a Fast Rate
- Medical News Today Hip Replacement Recall By Depuy Orthopaedics Is Big News
- Independent UK Thousands of patients left in agony by faulty hip replacements. Nearly 8,000 people may have to undergo further surgery as an implant is recalled – three years after warnings about its defects.
- 24-7 News Lawsuits involving the recalled Johnson & Johnson DePuy ASR hip implant could be consolidated in a multidistrict litigation.