WHAT SHOULD I DO IF I HAVE COBALT AND CHROMIUM METAL IONS IN MY BLOOD FROM MY HIP IMPLANT?
The short answer is get another blood test and call your hip surgeon immediately to obtain an exam and consultation. Cobalt and chromium are harmful to your body. You need to find out why you have metal ions in your blood and how to get rid of them soon. You need to know how high the cobalt and chromium levels are because this is also important.
Estimates suggest that the DePuy ASR hip failure rate may be as high as 48% at 6 years.
Design problems with metal-on-metal hip implants, can cause dangerous levels of cobalt and chromium metal particles to enter the body. This can lead to metallosis, a type of blood poisoning. It can lead to aseptic fibrosis, local necrosis or even help to cause metallic corrosion and increase the chances of hip replacement failure.
In recent years, many different types of metal-on-metal artificial hip systems have been linked to a high failure rate, which may result in the need for risky hip revision surgery. While the manufacturers were promoting these implants as stronger and more durable, they neglected to adequately research the impact of metal ions entering the body from the artificial hip.
The Law Offices of Dean Goetz began investigating potential lawsuits for individuals with elevated cobalt and chromium levels in 2010. Since that time, the risk of toxicity from metal-on-metal hip replacement systems has gained substantial attention among the medical community and national media.
In August 2010, a hip replacement recall was issued for the DePuy ASR system, after the manufacturer acknowledged that about one out of every 8 patients may experience problems with the hip within five years after receiving the implant. Since that time, estimates suggest that the DePuy ASR hip failure rate may be as high as 48% at 6 years.
In May 2011, the FDA asked manufacturers of all metal-on-metal hip replacement systems to obtain more information about the levels at which metal in the blood from hip replacements become dangerous and how much metal the devices actually shed.
The FDA had a conference about metal hip replacement toxicity on June 2012 at a meeting of the Center for Devices and Radiological Health (CDRH) Orthopedic Devices Panel. At that time, the committee reviewed the failure rates, testing for metal ion blood poisoning, imaging methods, local and systemic complications, patient risk factors and considerations for follow-up after surgery. The report will come out soon.
If you have questions, Call The Law Offices of Dean Goetz at 858-481-8844 now.
Even if your Depuy ASR hip replacemnt device is not causing you pain and you do not have high metal levels yet, find out what you need to do now to protect your future rights.
You are living with a ticking (rapidly expiring) hip replacement device (bomb) and you are entitled to compensation. Don't forfeit your rights.
Do not Delay.
Articles published during the first Depuy trial on emerging information:
- Maker Aware of 40% Failure in Hip Implant
New York Times January 22, 2013
- J&J Failed to Warn of Hip Implant's Risks, Jurors Told
Bloomberg News January 25, 2013
- Trial underway in hip implant lawsuit
Los Angeles Times January 25, 2013
- News from Kransky v. DePuy Richmond, VA Legal Examiner January 29, 2013
- J&J Had 'Inappropriate' Risk Controls for Hip, Jury Told Bloomberg News January 31, 2013
- J&J Failed to Weigh Hip Metal Debris Risk, Witness Says Bloomberg News February 1, 2013
- J&J Recalled Hips Over Safety Concerns, Witness Testifies Bloomberg News February 4, 2013
- J&J Jury Told Hip Has Many Design Defects Causing Failure Bloomberg News February 6, 2013
- J&J Sales Rep Told Surgeon of Hip Problems, Jury Told Bloomberg News February 7, 2013
- What a Company Knew About Its Metal Hips New York Times February 10, 2013
- J&J Feared Metal Backlash Would Hurt Hip Sales, Jury Told Bloomberg News February 13, 2013
- J&J Hip Recipient Says He Feared Surgery Would Kill Him Bloomberg News February 19, 2013
Articles about Depuy recall leading up to trial:
- FDA Examines Metal Hip Devices
- Congress Wading Into Faulty Hip Implant Issue
- Defective and dangerous medical device products. rushed to market with, "Gaps in FDA's postmarket surveillance show that unsafe and ineffective devices may continue to be used, despite being recalled."
- New York Times Remedy Is Elusive as Metallic Hips Fail at a Fast Rate
- Medical News Today Hip Replacement Recall By Depuy Orthopaedics Is Big News
- Independent UK Thousands of patients left in agony by faulty hip replacements. Nearly 8,000 people may have to undergo further surgery as an implant is recalled – three years after warnings about its defects.
- 24-7 News Lawsuits involving the recalled Johnson & Johnson DePuy ASR hip implant could be consolidated in a multidistrict litigation.
Metal on Metal Hip Device Recall - Depuy
Dean A. Goetz and the Gomez Law Firm were the attorneys for Mr. Loren Kranksy, the Plaintiff in the first Depuy trial in the USA. 3/6/13 at 9:38 a.m. PST A jury found Depuy liable to Mr. Loren Bill Kransky today in a Los Angeles Superior Court. FIRST verdict in the USA against Depuy for $8,328,000. We Are The Kransky Lawyers
Kranksy vs. Depuy and Johnson and Johnson, Los Angeles County Superior Court Case #BC456086
The Walking Wounded - Dean Goetz interviewed ABC Investigative Report - watch the whole investigative story on Depuy, aired 5/26/14, "Reporter Quentin McDermott reveals how a healthcare giant deceived doctors and patients using its ASR hip replacement implant." Australian class action cases go to trial in 2015.